Ok I guess the first item on the menu this week wasn't that unusual - Roast Chicken! However, for anyone who knows me as a cook, I HATE cooking chicken and am pretty terrified of roasting a WHOLE chicken. But, the Fresh 20 menu told me to, so I roasted not one, but two chickens this week. The roasting itself went pretty well, before work I was able to clean and rub the chickens with some olive oil and spices, and put them in 2 gal ziploc bags so they would be ready to put in the oven as soon as I got home. The recipe had us first roasting the chickens at 500 degrees. 500 DEGREES!! I have never set my oven that high to cook anything! Now it was only for like 20 minutes or so... but our house definitely filled with smoke - not from the chickens, probably from whatever else is stuck in the bottom of the oven! Thankfully we turned the oven down for the remainder of the roasting time. The recipe had warned me not to be scared of the 500 degrees, that it would turn the chicken golden brown and seal in the juices - and it did just that! The chicken turned out delicious and was a perfect dinner with a side of greens.

Disclaimer: I did not eat all of that chicken! Even if I am having twins! Matt definitely had to help me finish. :)
We obviously did not eat 2 whole chickens for dinner that night, so this morning I took out the rest of the chicken to cut up for sandwiches and a future meal where we need shredded chicken. And this is where I almost lost my finger! This almost happened to me the last time I was pregnant and cutting up a turkey my mom and I had roasted. I think maybe I should not cut up roasted poultry while pregnant. I think what happens is that I try to get all of the meat off the bones with my knife because I don't want to waste any, but then the chicken / turkey is slippery and so the knife or my hand slips and runs into my left hand. OW. This morning I was so scared that I had seriously cut myself that I immediately rinsed the cut off and grabbed a paper towel to wrap around my finger to stop the bleeding. I held it on my finger for a few minutes and went to find Matt to tell him we might have to go get stitches... but when I removed the paper towel, there were seriously only like 2 drops of blood on it. So thankfully my finger is fine and apparently I am a big baby. (An addition to this story is that at lunch today I was making a chicken sandwich and I wanted the chicken to be thinner to go into the sandwich better... can you guess what happened? Yes I cut the SAME FINGER AGAIN. I now have two bandaids on my left index finger....sigh.)
Another exciting less dangerous meal that we had yesterday was crab-avacado boats. It sounds strange - but they were awesome. You take crab meat (canned is OK) and make almost a tuna salad with them with lemon, yogurt, celery, spices (cumin and cayenne pepper). You cut an avacado in half, making little "boats" and put the crab salad inside. It is an amazingly delicious and light dinner that is still filling due to all of the protein and fat (the good fats!) Plus it was so easy and took almost no time at all. I forgot to take a picture of the cute little boats. Sorry. We ate them too fast! :)
And tonight, I made my own hummus mixed with feta cheese that we ate with warmed tortillas and fresh cut veggies. YUM. See what I mean about unusual this week? The Fresh 20 is bringing their A-game this week.
Here is a picture of my delicious homemade hummus. Ellen even helped by pushing the buttons on the blender.

I am 10 weeks pregnant this week (less than 2 weeks till the 12 week drs appointment, not that I'm counting or anything!) I have definitely grown a little since last week - last week I could button my nice black pants I wear to work, this week not so much. Thank goodness for cute belly bands!
10 weeks!
No comments:
Post a Comment