Thursday, August 23, 2012

Three Awesome Gluten Free Recipes

I realize that I'm going to have to change my blog name since it is clearly no longer a food blog and has morphed almost completely into a baby and pregnancy blog!!

However, we are still doing the fresh 20 (about every other week) and so I have a few awesome recipes from last week to share.

The first is one that I repeated and made again this week because it was so good:

Tomato and Spinach Rice Pitas
**I have changed this recipe based on what I put in it, so its not identical to the fresh 20's recipe**

1 cup rice
2 cups water

2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into small pieces
1 tomato, diced
2 cups of fresh baby spinach, chopped
1 medium cucumber (or zucchini), chopped
1 avocado, chopped
1/2 lemon juiced to make 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

gluten free pitas (or regular pitas if you are not GF)


1. Cook the rice according to package directions
2. Cook the chicken, add to rice
3. Add tomato, spinach, cucumber, avocado, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper to rice mixture, stir to combine.
4. Toast pitas, cut in half and fill with spinach/rice mixture, and enjoy!!

Even Ellen LOVED these pitas! She ate almost 3/4 of an entire pita with filling. I was pleasantly surprised, especially since she almost never eats rice or spinach!


The second one is actually two recipes in one:
BBQ Chicken, and BBQ Chicken Pizza
This is probably the best BBQ sauce I've ever had... it was ahmazing.


BBQ Sauce: (for both meals)
1 6oz can of tomato paste
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/4 cup molasses
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/4 cup water

1. In a small bowl whisk to combine all ingredients. Add water if too thick, but not too much, the sauce should stay pretty thick. Divide in half, half for BBQ chicken and half for BBQ chicken pizza.


BBQ Chicken:
(Buy enough chicken for both BBQ chicken dinner and BBQ chicken pizza, I used about 2 lbs which I think was enough for both of us plus leftovers.)

Season all of the chicken with a mixture of:

1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder

Line a baking sheet and cook chicken for ~25 minutes or until done. In the last ~5 minutes or so, brush on the BBQ sauce. Be careful the sauce will burn quickly so don't leave it in for too long!

***Save 1/2 of your chicken for the BBQ chicken pizza, you will need 2 cups***


BBQ Chicken Pizza:

4 gluten free pitas or flatbread
BBQ Sauce
1/4 medium red onion
2 cups baby spinach, chopped
2 cups BBQ chicken, shredded
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded

1. preheat oven to 425
2. Line a baking sheet and lay out pitas, spread about 1-2 tbsp of BBQ sauce on each pita. Add onions, then spinach, then chicken, and finish with 1/2 of cheese on top of each.
3. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.



And that's it! Three great GF recipes!
Sorry I forgot to take pictures, but they are worth making - easy and delicious!!








1 comment:

  1. Kate those sound amazing!! I'm going to make them!!! Thank you for sharing deliciousness!!! :) I have some pitas in my freezer that I should probably use up, so this is perfect <3 Christyn

    ReplyDelete