So tonight I finally made Sweet Potato Gnocchi and it was amazing. Wow. Its one of those meals that you finish and just feel good inside! Your stomach is happy with you! :) This recipe was not hard, but it did take a good amount of time / preparation. Plus you need to have xanthan gum (see previous post!)
Here is the non-official recipe:
1. Peel Sweet potatoes, chop into medium to small pieces and then roast in a roasting pan until tender.
2. Mash sweet potatoes, and add gluten free flour, xanthan gum, nutmeg, a little sugar, salt, pepper and lemon juice. I didn't have lemon juice, so instead I added orange juice! It didn't seem to make a difference and the gnocchi didn't taste anything like oranges. :) Mix well!
3. Put a generous amount of flour onto a cutting board and your hands, and roll the sweet potato mixture into 1/2-1 inch diameter rolls. Cut the rolls into 1 inch long pieces, mark with a fork (like for peanut butter cookies) and then place on a foil lined cookie sheet. You will need a lot of flour for rolling, as the sweet potato mixture is pretty sticky.
This step takes the LONGEST and you will get flour everywhere! Wear an apron!! I did not and somehow ended up with flour all over my chest that Matt happily pointed out and laughed at me.
4. Freeze, yes freeze the gnocchi for 30 minutes.
5. Heat about 1 tablespoon of oil in a saucepan and cook the gnocchi until they are browned on both sides and heated through. I used medium-high heat which worked well. You'll need to cook them in batches, and each batch will need another tablespoon of oil. If you don't put more oil in, they will stick to each other in the pan which makes them super hard to brown evenly.
6. Drain the gnocchi on paper towels to get some of the oil out
7. Serve on top of steamed spinach. The bland flavor of the spinach goes really well with the sweet potato flavor. Amazing. :)
Here are some pictures:
On the cookie sheet

All done!
They look delicious!!
ReplyDeleteOops on the recipes. Matt's probably right, but I may be emailing you quite often for these recipes!! They look delicious!! I have a butternut squash soup recipes that is fantabulous :) (and I think gluten free best as I can tell). ~Christyn
ReplyDelete