So while the finished product turned out amazing... getting there was a nightmare!! I decided to double the recipe and make two pizzas, and maybe this is where I went wrong, it is possible that I didn't double an ingredient or two? I swear I doubled everything but I can't be sure. The directions say to beat the flour, xanthan gum, italian seasoning, yeast, vinegar maybe, I forget the exact ingredients, until the dough forms a nice ball. I'm beating and beating and this dough is not anywhere close to resembling a "ball" of dough. Its wayyy too liquidy.
Here is a picture of what the egg beaters looked like when I was done. They should not have been dripping with dough.

The next instruction was to take the "ball" of dough and knead it on a rice floured surface. I should have stopped to think, hey, this dough is no where near being ready to knead, something went wrong! What I did instead is pour the dough, which actually had the consistency of cake batter onto a floured cutting board. The dough, which was basically in liquid form, starts creeping off the cutting board as I stupidly stick my hands into it and start trying to knead it. Kneading it was a disaster and obviously did nothing to turn this liquidy dough into a ball shape! In desperation I grabbed the bag of rice flour and started dumping large amounts of flour onto the dough, I probably added at least two cups of flour which is pretty significant and supports my theory that I forgot to double something (probably flour!) In the end after adding a ton of flour, I was able to kind of turn the dough in to a ball, at least I was able to get it into a bowl so that it could rise.
After the initial disaster fortunately the rest of the recipe went pretty smoothly. The dough rose for about 30 minutes and then I was able to split it into two pieces for my two pizzas! I baked the dough to set it for about 6 minutes, and then added tomato sauce (Cento's in the yellow can is the best, no added sugar!) cheese, tomato slices, basil, and of course pepperoni!!! It baked for about 15 minutes and was the best pizza that I've had in a long time. I really think that the Italian seasoning in the crust was the secret to a great taste!!
Here is the finished product:

Ellen helped me cook - here she is at the table - she was so good and sat there the entire time playing with a bowl and measuring spoons! She is doing great and learning new words every day - a few of her current favorites are: turtle, purple, hot tea, two, burp, beep and now she can say her friend Emma's name which is so sweet. :)

I highly recommend this pizza, so let me know if you want the recipe!! :)
mmhm! That's one delicious-looking pizza pie!
ReplyDelete