Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Happy Birthday Matt - Yellow Cake with Dark Chocolate Icing

I made my first gluten free cake this past Friday for Matt's birthday - I think this is the first cake I've actually made from scratch and it turned out really well! :)
I was a little hesitant to try a bread-like recipe after the disaster gluten free pizza, but I made sure to measure all of the ingredients perfectly, and this time the batter turned out just fine.

The recipe includes gluten free all purpose flour, xanthan gum, vanilla, lots of butter (2 sticks!), sugar, and some eggs. It was pretty easy to follow except that I had to beat the butter & sugar for 8 minutes!! When you are holding an egg beater, 8 minutes goes by so so slowly. I only made it to 5 minutes and called it done. Thankfully the recipe still turned out. :)

The recipe called for me to use two round cake pans, but I was short on time and so I decided to go with the McGarity cake classic - the bundt pan. I love me a good bundt cake! It's easy to make (just pour in) and then when it's finished, you have a nice design that looks like it took more effort than it did, and as an added plus it's super easy to ice.

I also made the dark chocolate icing from scratch - I made wayyy too much which is still sitting in our fridge. :) This recipe was also pretty easy to make - another 2 sticks of butter (I just realized I went through an ENTIRE PACKAGE of butter making this cake...) confectioners sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and light cream. Add all ingredients and beat together until it is light and fluffy like icing - easy peasy. :)

Here is a picture of the cake - ready for the candles to be lit!! (All 33 of them!! WOW!)


We celebrated Matt's birthday up in Eagles Mere where there was about 3 inches of snow on the ground - beautiful! We haven't gotten that much snow here this year which is fine by me, but I always love snow at Eagles Mere. It still has that beautiful white color and hasn't turned brown yet from the cars and plows. Though Amara (our dog) did her best to turn some of it yellow. :)

Matt had lots of work to do on a super important paper over the weekend so Ellen and I hung out with her super cool Aunt Lindsay and Uncle Owen. It was a really special visit for us because it was the first time that I really felt like Ellen bonded with them - I think that she's been too young up until now to really enjoy being with her Aunts and Uncles - even at Christmas and New Years she was shy around everyone. I think she is finally done with her separation anxiety (which for Ellen was separation TERROR) and is starting to get to know and enjoy the company of other adults that she doesn't see everyday. She spent a good amount of the weekend cuddled with Lindsay reading books and talking. It was the sweetest thing and made me so happy to see! :) Uncle Owen won her over by flying her in the air which she adored!

Here is Ellen about to take a hike around the lake with Uncle Owen!


While we were at Eagles Mere I started work on a new project in the nursery! The wallpaper, which was adorable and lasted forever (30 years!) was getting old and needed to be replaced. This weekend I tore down the wallpaper - which amazingly took only about 10 minutes - it was put up so well that it came down so easily. Thank goodness! I then sanded and cleaned the walls, and then Owen and Lindsay helped me prime them. Next visit I will put up an adorable animal border with hippos, elephants, cats, monkeys, etc. and above the border I am going to paint blue, and below I'm going to paint green, kind of like the sky and the grass. I think that it will look adorable and I'm really excited to finish!

Here is the room before I started:


Here are the sheep that Ellen adores, I feel kind of bad that I took them down - every time we went in that room she would yell "BAAAAAA" at them!


And here is the room without the wallpaper! I forgot to take a picture of the room after it was primed, but it looks really good.



Wow this was a long post, kudos if you made it this far! I think this is another freezer week for us, I've got a bunch of beet soup stored away and we are still trying to finish tacos I made over the weekend, hopefully I'll get to try another new GF recipe this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment